Welcoming Diversity is a five-part, AAISA-credited* course series that explore topics around serving newcomers with diverse sexual orientations, gender identities, expressions, and sex characteristics.
The series is split into five two-hour webinars, occurring every Friday between September 25 - October 9. As there are only 20 spots, registrants must ensure that they will be able to attend and participate in all five webinars:
- Social Location, Privilege, Oppression and Intersectionality - Friday September 25, 10am - 12pm MST
- Introduction to Diverse Sexual Orientations, Gender Identities, and Expressions and Sex Characteristics (SOGIESC) - Friday October 2, 10am - 12pm MST
- Coming Out in a Cultural Context - Friday October 2, 1pm - 3pm MST
- Working with LGBTQ+ Immigrants & Refugees - Friday October 9, 10am - 12pm MST
- Basic organizational policies that support SOGIESC newcomers - Friday October 9, 1pm - 3pm MST
The series is funded by the Government of Alberta. It is being offered by the Alberta Association of Immigrant Serving Agencies (AAISA) and will be facilitated by the Centre for Newcomers (CFN). All webinars will be recorded and placed on AAISA's YouTube channel.
This professional development course is aimed at Internationally Educated Professionals (IEPs) and Alberta’s frontline staff of Immigrant Serving Agencies (ISAs) who serve them to gain the knowledge, skills, and insights necessary to join the workforce more quickly and effectively upon their arrival in the province and find employment that makes better use of their education and experience.